Bourita meets Albares in Fez, with the NHN in the background

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, of African Cooperation and Moroccans Living Abroad, Nasser Bourita will meet theSpanish Foreign Minister of the European Union and Cooperation, José Manuel Albares, twice this week.

The first meeting will take place this Tuesday in the middle of the World Forum of the Alliance of Civilizations in Fez, while the second is scheduled for Thursday, November 24 in Barcelona, ​​during the forum of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM). These contacts between the two ministers are part of the continuity of the normalization wisely, so to speak, in which diplomatic relations between Rabat and Madrid have resumed.

Today’s meeting, to illustrate, is the seventh of its kind between Bourita and Albares since April 7 when in Rabat the new bases of the bilateral relationship were defined between the two Kingdoms when the President of the Government, Pedro Sanchez had met King Mohammed VI.

Albares’ presence in Morocco as well as Bourita’s trip to Barcelona should serve to finalize the high-level meeting (RHN) scheduled for early 2023 after the option for this month of November had been ruled out. Albares had said on the occasion: “We have agreed that the high-level meeting will take place before the end of the year, if possible during the month of November. This will be another opportunity to take stock. This meeting has not taken place since 2015”.

This bilateral summit between the two countries will be the most important for eight years and therefore comes at the right time – the last dates from 2015 and took place in Madrid with Mariano Rajoy at Moncloa -. One of the issues that will also be on the table and which could be discussed during these meetings, is the reopening of the commercial customs office in Melilla and the opening of another in Sebta, reports the ABC newspaper.

Indeed, and according to the Spanish press, José Manuel Albares and his Moroccan counterpart, Nasser Bourita, made a commitment last September during a meeting in New York, to discuss the question of the reopening next January of customs in Sebta and Melilla and the passage of goods.

We want to continue moving forward in reactivating our cooperation and, for this reason, we have agreed to work so that the start of the passage of goods, in a gradual and orderly way, through land customs posts takes place throughout the month of January “said the Spanish minister.

The latter had also given an update on the latest agreements that the Spanish government had concluded with Morocco and had underlined from New York that the level of exports between the two countries had increased by 30% in recent months. ” We want to go further, commercial customs in Ceuta will be a reality from next January”he specified.

According ABCdiplomatic sources on both sides of the shore assure that ” the roadmap drawn up during the historic meeting last April is going well without any obstacle hindering its smooth running”.

Previous Post Next Post