Electoral justice rules out extension of vote after alleged 'blockages' of voters going to the polls

The president of Brazil’s Superior Electoral Tribunal (TSE), Alexandre de Moraes, ruled out extending voting hours on Sunday after police allegedly blocked voters going to the polls.

“In some cases, this delayed the arrival of voters, but in no case did it prevent them from voting,” the magistrate explained at a press conference.

Local media reported that “throughout the day, the Federal Highway Police (PRF) disobeyed a court order and carried out at least 560 operations on roads across the country to inspect the free transport of voters”.

The campaign team of former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva (Workers’ Party, left) filed a complaint against these incidents, arguing that “these police checkpoints took place mainly in the north-east of the country, the largest political stronghold of the progressive candidate”.

In his press conference, organized at the headquarters of the TSE in Brasilia, nearly two hours before the closing of the polls, the magistrate specified that “the operations carried out were carried out on the basis of the Brazilian highway code. In other words, it is a case of a bus with an excessively worn tire, a broken headlight, an inappropriate condition”.

The director of the Federal Highways Police, Silvinei Vasquez, was at the TSE headquarters in the afternoon to provide clarification on these operations.

Moraes said these operations will be investigated on a case-by-case basis and that, according to Vasquez, none of the stopped buses have been ordered to return to their place of departure.

According to the Globo television channel, 549 such cases have been recorded, including 272 operations in the Northeast (49.5% of the total).

Moraes also said that 0.55% of ballot boxes had to be replaced, up to 3 p.m. local time, citing reduced queues across the country, compared to the first round of voting (current 2). .

On the other hand, Moraes spoke about the strategy to fight the spread of fake news in the second round. According to the minister, the actions continued throughout the weekend, to fight against what he called “a flood of fake news”.

“In the past 36 hours, the TSE has ordered the removal of 354 posts. Seven sites were sanctioned, 701 URLs were withdrawn in application of 12 court decisions, while five Telegram groups were suspended, with nearly 580,000 participants.

Previous Post Next Post